Monday, March 18, 2013

Britain's East India Company

This article (via Manan Shukla) provides a brief history of the company that may have been one of the first multinational corporations.  It was also one of the first corporations that was too big to fail.  It had to be bailed out by the government. 

On one of my visits to London I spent an entire day at Westminster Abbey where many of Britain's royalty and leaders have been memorialized.  Many of the names were familiar to me because of their role in the Britain's historical and cultural development.  I was really surprised by the large number memorials to the leaders of the East India Company.  I knew that the company played a large role in the colonization of India, but I did not realize the importance of the company, and it leaders, in British history.  I am not aware of examples in the US where business leaders are memorialized together in a facility as important as Westminster Abbey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment