Sunday, May 20, 2012

Research Report On Economic Mobility In Canada and Denmark

This study of economic mobility in Canada and Denmark (via Mark Thoma) found that fathers pass on their career paths to their children.  This was especially true among high income earners.  Even in these countries with low inequality the chances of moving out of the bottom 25% to the top 25% are low.

I was lucky enough to attend good public schools, and I was encouraged by my teachers to pursue higher education. There was also an inexpensive state university in my hometown.  No one in my family had attended college.  I was also lucky to pursue a graduate degree when there was lots of support available from government for graduate education. I got my first son a job, upon his graduation from college, through personal contacts that I had made in my career.  He has remained in that field throughout his career.  My first daughter got her first job after graduation through a family friend.  She moved up the ladder in her career path before starting a family.  My second son is pursuing a graduate degree.  He plans to be a professor.  He supports himself as a tennis professional.  He learned how to play tennis at a club to which we belong.  My youngest daughter had an exceptionally good biology teacher in high school. She helped her to get an internship in a local biotech firm.  She spent each of her summers working at the firm during her undergraduate education at an excellent state university.  She took a job with the firm after graduation, and the firm paid for the masters degree that she earned.

The careers and future earnings of my children fit the pattern described in this study.  My good fortune, which was made possible by the availability of good public schools, and government supported higher education, was passed on to my children.  One of my concerns is that government support for public schools, and access to higher education, is not as strong today as it was when I was a child.  I was lucky to escape from the bottom 25%, and that luck was passed on to my children.  I don't think that children in the bottom 25% today, will have the same chances for upward mobility that I had.




No comments:

Post a Comment